There was a discussion about what software and hardware people use and people have made “/uses” pages for that purpose. And inspired by Wes Bos /uses from “Syntax” Podcast here’s my /uses page.
Editor + Terminal
Software development specific tools
- My webcam for video conferences is Logitech StreamCam as it has USB-C connectivity
- Often though I use just the Macbook Pro 16″ Web Camera.
- Using the mic from the StreamCam or Bose QuietComfort 25 headphones
- My monitor is Dell UltraSharp 38 U3818DW with 3840 x 1600 at 60 Hz on AmazonBasic Desk Mount
I currently use a 2019 13″ MacBook Pro 2,8 GHz Quad-Core i7 with 16GB memory (and it’s not quite enough sometimes) retired 06/2022
- I currently use a 2021 16″ MacBook Pro 2,6 GHz 6-Core i7 with 32GB memory
- MacBook is powered by the Dell monitor by USB-C cable which also distributes the picture (one cable rule)
- MacBook sits on a Griffin Elevator stand but will be moved to a laptop arm
Between MacBook and Dell is Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-Hole
- I filter ads and other trash with Raspberry Pi 4 running Home Assistant with AdGuard Home
- For optical disks there’s Asus ZenDrive SDRW-08U9M external DVD+/-RW drive
- Sounds are provided by Genelec G One active speakers and managed by iFi nano iDSD Black Label
- I sit on Salli SwingFit saddle stool
- Light is by Eyocean LED Desk Lamp
- My desk is an used Isku classic electric table
- The keyboard is Apple Magic Keyboard and mouse is Apple Magic TrackPad 2
- Off the picture there’s a custom built mini-ITX HTPC (Finnish writeup)
- I use Fujitsu LIFEBOOK U904 for occasionally Windows related development and testing
- For occasionally commuting to the Metropolitan area I use the Boundary Errant pack
- I listen Podcast with Apple AirPods or Apple Airpods Pro (2nd gen) when on the go.
Tools I found when going through /uses
- Patterns for working with regular expressions.
- Bear for note taking (have considered this also before)
- Paw for testing and describing the APIs you build or consume
- Timing for recording your time automatically